I would have sworn out an affidavit that I posted a quiche recipe on this blog, but if I did I cannot find it. That’s okay cause, I just made this one tonight and YUM! Quiche is a great throw-together-cheap-delicious-meal. Round out the meal with a tossed salad and some crusty bread and a veggie on the side and you will walk away from the table full. The thing about quiche is that it is good for breakfast, lunch or dinner, an all purpose main dish. My friends Dottie, Cyndie, Patt and I go to the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York for lunch often when I’m back in New York. We often order the quiche because it is so good there. Enjoy!
Ham & Swiss Quiche
1-9″ refrigerated piecrust
4oz. shredded Swiss Cheese
4oz. deli ham, diced small
2 T butter
4oz. baby Portobello mushrooms sliced
1/2 onion diced small
4 large eggs beaten
1/2 tsp salt(or to taste, sometimes the cheese or ham may be salty)
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups whole milk or 1 cup milk and 1 cup half n half
Preheat oven 350 degrees F
1. Saute the mushrooms and onions in the butter until lightly browned. Set aside. (sprinkle on a bit of garlic powder while they are sautéing. It gives them a hint of garlic flavor.)
2. Unroll piecrust and fit it into a 9″ pie plate while those mushrooms are sauteing. Flute the edges.
3. place the Swiss and Ham into the piecrust and toss together. top with the mushroom/onion mixture.
4. Mix the eggs, S&P and the milk until blended. Pour over the ingredients in the piecrust evenly.
5. Pop into the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until set. (this time may vary depending on your oven)
Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Serves 3-4 or if you are Deet and Mr. Deet it serves 2.
Deet’s Note: you can vary the fillings and use what you have on hand. How about cheddar cheese, onion and broccoli or another might be Swiss, Crab meat and onion. did you notice how I manage to get in my favorite onions into each one?